17 June, 2012

Nom. Nom.





I joked on twitter and facebook that receiving things from home makes me happy... As much as I meant it humorously, it is really great to get the occasional care package. As silly as it may sound, the best care packages are just full of food.

If there's something that makes a volunteer feel pangs for home the most, it's food we miss. It doesn't even have to be great food. Sure, I miss summer dinners with my family of salads, tuna steaks and grilled peaches, but even little things are amazing. For example, with the Nutella in this box was some Pop Tarts.

Yes. You read that correctly. Pop Tarts.

I don't know why, but I had a craving for Pop Tarts about a month ago, and my family hooked me up. I have some friends who received a lot of Jell-o and instant mashed potatoes. I know quite a few volunteers got boxes with Easter candy last month.

It's the little things that really do it: make me incandescently happy and destroy any depressing pangs for home.

Even better is the community we, the volunteers, have created. My friend got some taco seasoning, which was just delicious the other night, and my Nutella helped take the churros we made to a whole new level of scrumptious.

If you're feeling particularly generous (and awesome) and want to send me some love, I cannot post my address on my blog, but if you send me an email and I can give you my address.



My plan for the week was to grade all the finals I've been putting off. Instead, I may just experiment with what Nutella tastes like on strawberry Pop Tarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment